Interview with Andi Deris during Indonesia Tour 2004

08:08 Trvlst 0 Comments

Happy...Happy...Helloween...

The story of the interview was like a dream. First, I don’t want to blame to the local official for doing a little promotion about Helloween tours, that makes me lacks information about Helloween's press release. People did not know where Helloween members stay in Jogjakarta , when they arrives and gone. The local security official is doing great to keep it secret. At the February 12 Night at 11.00 pm , I came to Novotel Hotel to met Helloween but blocked by the security. Then I start to wrote letter to Helloween, tells them that I'm the man from website Helloween Fans Site Indonesia want to see and ask a few question to be featured in my homepage. 
The next day was the day full of waiting. On the letters I leave my phone numbers, hoping Helloween will call me to make an appointment. I Think that is a 5 % of probability that the big name musicians like Helloween will call me, but I was really really wrong. After I took some pictures on stage check sounds, I came home preparing to see the show, but my phone is ringing and guess whose called me? Sascha!! 


He says that they don’t have much time because they preparing the show, but he invite me to come into Hotels at 07.00 pm o'clock. Then at 06.30 I came to the hotels and call on his room. He says please wait a moment, then he go down into lobby to meet me. He says, "We don’t have much time because we must go to the stadium", then I said, "OK, forget about the interview, can we got a picture just a minute?". Sascha refuses but promises to make available moment to interview after the show. One of the Helloween official tell Sascha that they wont permit the interview because they don’t have much time, Sascha did not agree with the official, and told him "Its important to make an interview with this man" (what a kindly man!!). Then I being given a free pass and should came with Helloween during the show, but may be that’s my unlucky day, I cant go with them. So I must see the show by my self. My Free-pass cannot reach artist room so I'm keeping stay closer to the stage to see the show and waiting them until the show is over. May be I'm the lucky man, I'm watching in front of the stage, just one or two meters below the stages. 

After the show is over, I decided to go back to the hotels as soon as possible , because there's no time to interview after the show in the stadium. When I sit down in the lobby I see Andi Deris go to Lobby, sitting alone and enjoy some coffee. I try to get closer and I hope I cant make the interview. You know this man (Andi deris) is very very kind, He does not look angry or tired when see me try to "disturb" him like a pundits. You know I never being a journalist or pundits. He let me sit down and answering my question without tired expression, you know he doing 2 hours singing performance. Then my dream becomes come true.

This interview is made after Helloween finishing their last show in Jogjakarta. Exactly on Novotel Hotel, when I found Andi Deris alone and enjoy some coffee at the lobby at February 13, 2004 at 11.00 pm.

Question (Q) : Me
Answer (A) : Andi Deris

Q : Excuse me Mr Andi, Let me introduce my self, My name is Dony, from the Helloween Fan Site Indonesia, can I sit down for a minute?
A : Oh, You the man from the website? Ok
Q : Great show Mr. Andi, Its very very good show 
A : Thank you
Q : I'm sorry to disturb you, can I make a short interview? I have made appointment with Sascha, He told me that he will give me a time to make an interview, but I know you all are tired because of show...
A : Oh No no, Its not a problem. Why not?
Q : Can we start it?
A : Okay
Q : People here in Indonesia are waiting Helloween for so long, what makes you finally come here? I mean the reason..
A : Yeah, We have been try three times to get show here but you know, government says that Indonesia is very dangerous to visit.
Q : German government?
A : Yeah, Our government says that, British Government says "Don’t go to Indonesia, USA Government says too, but we'd just want to play we think Indonesia is a pretty country , so why not? We decide to go there that’s what we want. You know there's a lot of problems here, religious conflicts, separatism, and many more problem, but I think I doesnt have any relevance with us. We'd just want to play here
Q : What your opinion about Jogjakarta's tour compared with Surabaya and Jakarta show?
A : Nice, People here are nice, may be a little more fans here than Jakarta and Surabaya.
Q : To be honest, what about people throwing bottle after the tour is over?
A : Oh, its not a problem for us, The happy with the show, they enjoy it and we like it, you know people in Mexico throwing knifes (really?) after show, In Spain they throw coins (pesetas) and in Texas USA, people throwing hats. Its not a problem to us, as far as they are enjoyed the show.
Q : Why don’t you stay much longer here in Indonesia? There so much beautiful place to be visited?
A : We don’t have much time right now, tomorrow we came back to Germany, I've been so long in the tour for six months and I really want to be back home to see my family 
Q : In Tenerife?
A : Yeah, my family lived in Canary Island
Q : Is there any problem when Helloween make a recordings, you lived in Tenerife, so far from Hamburg?
A : There is no problem in recordings at all because all songs are writing and recording in my studios in Canary Island, people come to my studios to make a recordings, like RAGE, Axel Rudi Pell, there is no problem at all.
Q : Why don’t you live in Germany?
A : You know, Germany actually is cold, snow, winter. I like summer, Everyday in Canary Island is a summer. I love summer.
Q : Can you tell me the plan after this show is over? Making new album or continuing to start touring worldwide again?
A : Actually we will start (tour or recordings??) in the middle of may, we only have 3 month of holiday.
Q : May be you should go to Bali in your next holiday, because you know Bali is very beautiful island..
A : I know I Know, I see it on TV that Bali is beautiful place, But I could only dreamed off, because I must back home to Canary Island to see my family.
Q : All your family live in tenerife?
A : Yeah my wife and my son
Q : How bout your son?
A : Good
Q : What his name?
A : Ron
Q : Iron maiden did a re-united album, Bruce Dickinson came back into the band and make Re-United Album, How bout if Helloween did like that?
A : That will not happened. You know Michael Kiske now is concentration with his Supared in pop music. He is a good songwriting and good singer, but he perfectly found his best on pop, not like Bruce Dickinson.
Q : What if Kai Hansen to play guitar?
A : Kai doesn’t like long time tour, that’s the reasons why he left Helloween, you know we had a long time tour worldwide, and he doesn’t like that. 
Q : Roland?
A : Roland cannot make a Helloween music anymore..
Q : But Roland in his Masterplan, He did a rock/metal album…
A : Not really I think, You know, Beside that Roland and Michael (Weikath) are clashed. Then now we got Sascha, He is great, He knows better about all Helloween songs from the Keeper album. He is the nice person to play with, and he is doing great for Helloween.
Q : Do you have some problem like influenza (cold) during the worlwide tour?
A : In Asian tour, No!, but I got some in Sweden, in Gothenburg
Q : And you keep going?
A : I can't over the show
Q : What about if Helloween make some acoustic album, like Scorpions did "Acoustica"
A : I don’t like it. To be honest I don’t like to make an acoustic album.
Q : What If another member want to make it? 
A : I don’t think so. You know Chameleon? This is between me and you, I actually love this album, but this is not Helloween. Yeah that is a good album but this is not Helloween.
Q : I think You make more than 5 song songs on acoustic version..
A : No!, I just make one. If Forever and One playing in acoustic style, I don’t like it, But when it plays ballads, I like it. You know I have only make an acoustic songs on my solo album, "Where The Eagles Learns To Fly" and "Now That I Know That’s Ain't Enough". That’s on my solo album. Its easy to sing with just me playing guitars, But I don't like when Helloween do same things like Chameleon albums, People hated it.
Q : I know, but are the problem in Chameleon because of the record company? I mean Helloween was under big name (EMI) when released Chameleon.
A : They just only think about making money but not for Michael (Weikath), He didn't like doing Chameleon album, Michael Kiske is like to do that. They (Record Company) doesn't think if you can make a good album, They just thinking that you must make a commercial album.
Q : People are shocked and start loving Helloween again when You, Roland and Uli joining Helloween and made Master Of The Rings Album...
A : Actually it was more hard-rock style like Pink Cream 69, but that was the starting point for us to get back in our way.
Q : You know, the song in Rabbits album, Nothing To Say, Who's the one to put the ideas to include reggae music style in the middle of the tracks?
A : Michael (Weikath) did!. He likes to put some strange sounds into some tracks. You know he is crazy, and he cant do anything without doing some shit. Yes that’s Michael
Q : Tell me a little info's about the next album, are there will be sounds like a Rabbit's or what?
A : Actually we called now it was a Keeper 3, continuing the story about the keeper to put the key from the sea. You know exactly the Sea of ignorance, but The Keeper is a bad guy
Q : Not a hero?
A : No! No! Like this, You know America put war on Iraq because they have been told by some bad ass people which reported that Iraq have a mass destructive weapons, but the fact is what? Nothing! You know the devils is listening and you know America put war on Iraq and they think they're win, but they never won the war.

The interview was stopped when Markus came to the lobby looking for something, Andi calls Markus and talking in German languages and then bring us into the restaurants, to let me see another members of Helloween. There are Sascha lying down tired on the restaurants sofa, Markus then orders some steak, "Anything but the biggest steak you have" ask Markus to the restaurant guy. Then Steffan coming on. Then I introduce my self into Markus and tells to all of them that I had a several question to Helloween but it all have been answered by Andi Deris, I said thanks for being given a moment to do interview.

This is Conversation Between Me and Markus at The Restaurants

Markus : You the guy from the Indonesian website?
Me : Yeah right, nice to see you Markus
Markus : Yeah, Whats the address?
Me : You can see it on the Helloween Official Website, on the Fansites links, look for Helloween Pages Indonesia links..
Markus : I Will, I will have to see it

Then I start to make a picture with them and have my cassette inlay cards signed by them one by one. I  did not find Michael, may be he is tired and get a rest on his room. Last words I said " Please you promises to come back here Indonesia, People and me are waiting for you to be back here, doing great show again" Then They said .. "We hope so.."

What a Beautiful day
But I'm missing Michael,

Notes: 
  • I'm really sorry for all the people who reading this interview, actually I'm using a small tape recorder to record all the conversation between me and Andi, but Unfortunately the recorder was not on good performance. The output from the tape was hard and difficult to be heard. So I cant provide you some MP-3 or WAV versions about the conversation. This conversation was re-write by me after I back home. 
  • I can't reach Michael
source and permit from : dony-w 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: